Naftogaz Ukraina intends to resume purchases from Gazprom in the first quarter of 2018, if the Russian side is "adequate" in implementing the decision of Stockholm Court of Arbitration in the dispute over a contract for the supply of Russian gas, the head of the Ukrainian state-owned company Andrey Kobolev told reporters.
"I think that if everything goes according to plan and Gazprom is adequate in the implementation of Stockholm's decision, because we still need certain documentary work to do what we are working on right now, we will start buying [gas] in the first quarter, this is our intention," Kobolev said.
Earlier on Wednesday, the commercial director of Naftogaz Yuri Vitrenko announced the intention of the Ukrainian company in the coming days to begin negotiations with Gazprom on the implementation of the Stockholm Court of Arbitration.
The Stockholm's Court in December passed a verdict on the dispute between Gazprom and Naftogaz regarding a contract for the supply of Russian gas to Ukraine. The court ordered Naftogaz to pay Gazprom $2 billion for gas already delivered, and also reduced the annual contract volume of purchases to 5 billion cubic meters of gas, but left the "take or pay" condition for 80% of this amount, that is 4 billion cubic meters . To buy gas in these volumes Kiev is obliged since 2018.
Gazprom has not commented on the recent statements of Naftogaz. Meanwhile, in December, the deputy chairman of the board of the Russian gas holding, Alexander Medvedev, noted that Gazprom considered its basic demands satisfied, and the satisfaction of all claims to Naftogaz would lead to bankruptcy not only for this state company, but for Ukraine as a whole.
DONi News Agency