Ukrainian military pilot accused of attack on Boeing MH17 found dead

Vladislav Voloshin, the Ukrainian combat pilot which some Russian investigative journalists have accused of responsibility for the MH17 disaster, allegedly shot himself on Sunday at his home.

According to a press release by police in the southern Ukrainian city of Nikolayev, the 29-year-old pilot's wife heard a gunshot and called the emergency services. Voloshin succumbed to his wounds on route to hospital. According to the police, the pilot was shot by a Makarov pistol, a standard issue military and police side arm in Ukraine. The weapon has been sent for examination. Police have opened a criminal investigation.

Relatives told police that Voloshin had been in a depressed state, and had voiced suicidal thoughts. Friends and family told local media that he was suffering from problems associated with the reconstruction of Nikolayev's airport, where he was acting director.

Voloshin's name came to be associated with independent investigations into the destruction of Flight MH17 over Donbass. In late 2014, a Ukrainian army aircraft mechanic told Russian media that the passenger airliner may have been downed by a Su-25 close air support aircraft flown by Voloshin. The Ukrainian side confirmed that the pilot was in the military at the time, but denied that he flew on the day the Malaysian airliner was brought down.

According to Sputnik

DONi News Agency