Big plans: Kiev seeks to start seizure of Gazprom's foreign assets this fall

Ukraine's Ministry of Justice plans to start the seizure of Gazprom's foreign assets this autumn. According to Ukraine's Justice Minister Pavlo Petrenko, in this way Kiev wants to charge back the fine that was previously imposed on the Russian energy giant by the Ukrainian Anti-Monopoly Committee.

"I won't name those countries we will appeal to in order to avoid political manipulations on the part of Russia," the minister said in an interview with the Obozrevatel webportal.

At the same time, experts are very skeptical about Kiev's chances of arresting Gazprom's foreign assets. For example, expert on international law Maria Yarmush believes that such a scenario is impossible.

"Even if the Ukrainian authorities will manage to receive certain executive documents in some countries, any seizure of Gazprom's property will, of course, be contested and proven illegitimate. Therefore, it will be very difficult for the Ukrainian authorities to satisfy their demands. I don't see any positive prospects for this," Yarmush told Radio Sputnik.

In 2015, Gazprom was fined by Ukraine's Anti-Monopoly Committee for allegedly having a monopoly in the gas market in 2009-2015. The Russian company protested the decision, since it does operate in Ukraine and gas supplies are operated by Ukraine's Naftogaz.

On June 1, Ukraine's Justice Minister Pavlo Petrenko said Ukraine would seek the seizure of Gazprom's foreign assets to claim its anti-monopoly fine of $6.4 billion for allegedly violating antitrust rules.

According to Sputnik

DONi News Agency